Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Dad's Potato Rolls


 Regarding the "instant mashed potato" ingredient, I just use a couple of peeled Yukon Gold potatoes mashed after boiling- I don't worry about measuring them, it usually is closer to a couple of cups, but no matter. This is what I used for this batch:
This is how my dough looks after a slow rise in the fridge the next day:
Rolled out 1/2 inch thick and a 3 1/2 inch diameter glass used as a biscuit cutter: 
Cover and let rise till doubled in size before baking:
After baking:
A look at the crumb:
These are good, a slight crunch to the bottoms with a damp interior. They make a great turkey roll sandwich during the holidays. Sometimes I split the dough up and put olives, dry cheese (Asiago) or sun dried tomatoes into the batches just to mix it up.

 I have also included the same day, rapid rise yeast method for this recipe below, but find the slow rise refrigerator recipe more to my liking. You can also roll the dough out thicker than 1/2 inch before cutting for a loftier roll.

Here's the Same Day Rapid Rise method recipe (just swap out the yeast):